March 28, 2010

50 Things I Love: #13

I absolutely love the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. My grandma introduced me to the books 8 years ago, and I am still reading them. Not because I read slow, but because I read them over and over and over. It's a deeply passionate story about the love of two people that transcends time and space. Currently there are 7 books in the series. I own 6 of the 7 and can't wait for #7 to come out in paperback! I'm reading book #3, hoping that as I progress through the series, I will finish #6 when my pre-ordered copy of #7 comes to my door.
I am the first to admit that the books are incredibly graphic and caution anyone who may be sensitive to such literary openness. While the story is both violent and passionate, the books are in a class of their own, incomparable to "those books" with a half-naked woman and muscular man clutched in passionate embrace. I can't stand those books. I tried to read one after I was married, because my mom said they were only for married ladies, but I couldn't make it past the first chapter.


The basis of the story is that Claire, a WWII nurse, is vacationing in Scotland with her husband after the war. While exploring the countryside, she comes upon an ancient stone henge and is transported back in time 200 years to 1743. While escaping English soldiers and being captured by the MacKenzie clan, she meets Jamie Fraser and is forced to marry him for her (and his) protection from the English. Out of this spontaneous nuptial grows an uncommon bond between the two that I find fascinating and euphoric. She follows him through the political turmoil of the time, always at his side, but never quite able to forget the husband she left in the future. It's a great story to get lost in!

1 comments:

Just me said...

I love them, too! I discovered the books in 1997, and re-read the series very two years or so... I also periodically check on Diana Gabaldon's blog. Happy Reading!